Wednesday 6 July 2011

Day 4: Wells to Hereford



Miles: 71.45       
Calories: 5477
Time: 5:33
Today has been the best day so far on the journey. Stunning scenery, majestic weather and good winds behind me. I have actually started to develop the world’s silliest tan. As well as the expected sunglasses tan, i’ve got silly tan marks on my knees and my hands are white whilst my arms are brown (from the cycling gloves). I’m still thinking if i should take photographic evidence......watch this space.
               I came the closest i’ve ever come to seeing a mirage in a desert. I was 45 miles into the ride, both water bottles were dry and the hills just kept on coming out of the Wye valley. It’s safe to say that i was really struggling. No signs of anyone around, no shops, no pubs or even no houses!!! And then there it was, my saviour. A local village post office ran by a Manc which sold mountain dew! Was this real or was i dreaming?  After pinching myself and downing the can in one, i decided that i was still lucid and continued on my way.
I also had the unexpected pleasure of bumping into my aunty whilst 12 miles-ish away from Hereford and she turned out to be a life saver!!! Jane thankfully provided a bottle of water just when i needed it most.....so a big thank you for that.
Highlights and low points are twinned the same today. I mistakenly took the road that led onto the motorway and proceeded to ride up to the Seven Bridge toll booths. The next thing i know, i was getting shouted at over the tanoy by the staff in the office ‘oi you on the bike, get off the road, there is a cycle path over on the left!’  ops.

No comments:

Post a Comment