Wednesday 6 July 2011

Day One: Lands End to Wadebridge (Never trust the GPS)






Miles: 64                             
Calories: 4584
Time on the saddle: 4:31
I’m 6’3. The bed I slept in last night was 6’1. Combine that with fact that it threw it down last night (drought, what drought?) needless to say I didn’t get a good night’s sleep. It didn’t matter though. I was like a child at xmas.......excited and eager to get up and on with the day. We arrived at Lands End (shit hole) and almost got mugged. £4 for parking! The Colley’s had none of it and dropped the car off ¾ of a mile away and walked back to the attractions (the signpost). After learning an ‘official’ photo in front of the sign was £9.95 we decided to save our beer money and take a photo behind the barriers whilst negotiating with the elements!  The rain was back. After sheltering I set off and started to fly! The wind was well and truly behind me and I put 10 miles in without even knowing it.
I’d passed through Penzance just as my bike GPS computer decided to have a melt-down (A common theme for the day). It was trying to send me back to the start, then off to the South East! Like having an argument with Helen, I ignored everything it was telling me and followed my instinct and got back on course. This happened around 5 times today which slowed me down but also provided a good excuse to rest.  The moral of the story, the GPS is a guide not gospel. A good ride today and it wasn’t as hilly as I’d been expecting so roll on tomorrow !
Highlights today included seeing 2 seals, a pair of sparrow hawks and meeting up with 2 more fellow lands end riders who gave me a welcome boost at the end of the ride just when I needed it.
Low points of the ride proved that immaturity does not get rewarded. I decided to take a detour to a place called Cocks for a photo (it really is a proper place, look it up if you don’t believe me). Not only was it in a deep valley (which took 3 minutes to descend into and 25 minutes to climb out of) some bugger had stolen the Cocks sign........so no photo!!!!! School boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment