Wednesday 6 July 2011

Day 8 Kendal- Annan (and then some)



The HILL!

Random Roman soldiers in Carlisle

Miles: 67.01 (plus 35.6 bonus miles.....my 1st ever century) total = 102.6 miles
Calories: 6811
Time: 7 hrs exactly
A wise man once told me, the Lake District is the wettest place in England.  Well let me tell you something for free......it is and it was this morning.  I had the unfortunate 1st task of a big uphill climb to the town of Shap just when the elements started pounding me.   As the climb was getting steeper and the rain was driving right into my left ear, it really felt like i was climbing into the mountains of Mordor.   My plan?  Head down and think of England.
So, with the hill out of the way everything changed. The roads got flatter, the rain stopped and i started to eat up the miles and before i knew it, i was having my sarnies in Carlisle watching Roman soldiers play fighting in front of the castle. I almost felt like Dad had spiked my drink. Strange bit highly entertaining.
After crossing the border in Gretna i managed to find our base for the night (after getting lost and cutting through a golf course) and still felt fresh so i thought i’d go for the century mark. After scoffing a scotch egg (well i am in Scotland) i was back on the saddle and adopted the race position for 2 ½. Before i knew it i’d put 30 odd miles in and had checked in with the old man ready to be picked up.  A great day in the saddle.
Highlights......100 + miles and not walking like John Wayne
Low points......the climb to Shap.....just a beast of a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment